Wednesday, August 23, 2006

It's that time again...

Started classes yesterday. I'm taking another light load this semester with just two classes again. Computerized Accounting started yesterday morning. I'm feelin' good about that one because the work appears pretty basic and if I turn it all in early I get to stay home. *yay* ACC102 starts tonight. The great news on that class is 1) it's the same book we used for 101 and 2) I was informed that the second workbook the bookstore sold me is unnecessary so I got to take it back. I'm elated. This means I'll actually be getting a couple hundred bucks from my grants in a month or two. Last semester they only covered about half of my books. I'm hoping to be able to pick up a camera with the extra this time.

I had considered picking up another class or two but now I'm glad I didn't. Apparently my thyroid has chosen now to start acting up again. Or, more accurately, underacting. :P Hello fatigue, weight gain and hair loss. :( I'm hopeful that I'll finally be able to get treatment now though. I should be seeing the doc next week and I had the lab work done today. I've been having on and off trouble like this for 10 years now so it'd be fabulous to finally get it taken care of.

So that's the un-fun stuff...

Asheville was awesome. I'm ready to move now. I was spoiled by my no-humidity time. The weather's great, the scenery is gorgeous, the people are nice and yarn is everywhere!! I hit up three yarn shops I'd found online before the trip and happened across yarn in two other completely unexpected stores. *swoon* Around here I have to drive an hour to even hit a Michael's!

I managed to restrain myself in the spending department. The first places I just bought needles and waited until the last place to buy yarn. I'm so glad I did though. At Yarn Paradise I got two skiens of Blue Sky Alpaca's Alpaca-Silk and seven balls of Classic Elite's Patina (cotton/silk blend) which was 40% off. Oh yes.
Downtown I picked up a set of #1 (2.25mm) 5" Brittany Birch DPNs. I've been dying to try those since I started even thinking about knitting socks. I also got a set of #1.5 (2.5mm) 6" Crystal Palace bamboo DPNs. I haven't gotten to test drive the Brittanys yet but I've fallen madly in love with the CPs after using them to whip up a little freehanded extra thingy for my Craft What You Can swap buddy. I should be sending out tomorrow. I just have to attach the strap and sash to the bag and pack it up. I hope she likes it. The hoodie I'm getting from the swap is due anyday now. I'm super excited.

Oh! I forgot... I also got a skien of Lamb's Pride Bulky in a nice pink to go with the leftovers from my blue hat. I think I might try felting a hat. I haven't attempted felting yet.
I'm thinking Green Gable for the Patina. Either that or I have a design sketched out for a tank that I might design. I'm decent at designing simple patterns (hats, socks, scarves, toys, etc) but I haven't *made* a top yet, much less designed one so I might just go with the Green Gable pattern for now and pick up more yarn for the tank idea later.
The Blue Sky Alpaca will be waiting patiently for me to get around to knitting for myself for once. That means it'll likely be hanging out until after Christmas.

Christmas knitting will begin as soon as I get the swap bag shipped out. I'm going to attempt a Claptois for mom. Might make Dad some socks if I can get the yarn. I was going to make the bro soem socks but I think I'll have to aim for his birthday for those. I should still pick up the yarn ASAP so I can get going on them. Freak'o wears a 15 and will only wear really tall socks so I've got my work cut out for me there. :P

Anyhoo... there's an update. Now I'm off to finish up the bag while trying to resist the xbox. Oddworld awaits.

No comments: