Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Secret Pal

Ok, here's my questionnaire, finally. I'm super excited about SP9! :)

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I'm really fond of alpaca, merino, and nice soft cotton blends.

I love sock yarn and would love to try new ones. I've only actually used Magic Stripes and some Knit Picks thus far. I really like varigated and self striping yarns but I'm not crazy about the ones with the faux-fair isle/ jaquard patterning in between the stripes.

The only thing I really can't stand is mohair. It irritates me in more ways than one. :P
100% acrylic is usually not my friend either.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a zippered binder case but it's not really appropriate for my needles and I've outgrown it.
I *really* want a roll-up DPN organizer.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I taught myself to knit last November. I consider myself an intermediate knitter and I love learning new things.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html/002-3029433-3432820?ie=UTF8&type=wishlist&id=2Q0D5E3II6VB3

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
Almond, gardenia, green tea, blueberry, cherry

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I have a mouth full of sweet teeth! My favorite candy is whatever I'm in the mood for at the moment! ;) I love sour jelly beans and chocolate with nuts, caramel, and/or peanut butter. Dark chocolate is a plus too.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I crochet a little. I want to get into sewing. I don't like doing it by hand because I suck at it, so I'm holding out for a sewing machine.
I don't spin yet but I'd love to learn.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like a pretty eclectic mix of music. I'm still really fond of mid 90's alternative-type stuff. I love The Shins. I like old (mostly 80's and before) country. I also like some classic rock and 60's-70's folk-y stuff. I listen to a lot of different stuff.
I can play MP3s.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
My boyfriend says I have "a blue problem." Lol. So, yeah, blues are probably my favorite. I gravitate toward them without thinking much about it. I also like red a lot. I've been into bright color mixes and pinks lately.
I can't wear light beige or "nude" colors because they make me look ill.
Other than that, I am up for anything. I love color. Everything has its place and I love to work with different colors and color combinations.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I moved back in with my dad this time last year. We have a veritable zoo. It's been described as my 'menagerie.' Heh. I have two cats, three hamsters, and three freshwater fish tanks (two 55gals at Dad's, one 20gal at the boy's place). We also have four dogs and half a dozen other cats. I'm close with my mom and younger brother (19), who live just across town.
Relationship-wise, I'm divorced (got married young :P) and have been with my current fella for the better part of a year. Early next year we're looking at moving me into his place, partially, and getting a puppy (he has one super-sweetie already).

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
It's pretty darn warm here year-round so there's not a lot of opportunities for scarves, hats, or mittens.
I like light, decorative, lacy scarves. Anything that goes around my neck has to be super soft because I itch easily.
I'm not a big hat person because I'm pretty warm-blooded. I do love to make hats though.
I like fingerless gloves and can't stand mittens. Something about not having free use of my fingers. I'm clumsy enough as it is. ;P
I'm not a big poncho fan but I loooooove wraps/shawls/etc and wish I had one to go with each and everything I own. Sadly, I can't even find the one I have (had?) and since I rarely (read: never) knit for myself, I can't seem to get around to making one for myself. I'd like to though.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I love sock knitting. Hats are nice little projects that I do frequently. I usually knit accessory stuff because I can't afford to get enough yarn at one time for larger projects. I also like small projects because they're portable and practical in such a warm area.
I'm always looking for more favorites.

13. What are you knitting right now?
Currently I'm working on my Christmas projects... mostly socks. Lots of socks.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Of course! :D

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I love knitting in the round. I'm hoping for the KP Options set for Christmas. I wish they had a 16" option too though.
I loooooove DPNs. I can never have enough small gauge, 5"-6" wood or bamboo needles. Or 16" circs, any gauge, preferably metal or hardwood.
I like trying new materials, especially wood. So far I have a few different brands of bamboo, some birch (a little soft for my taste), and just got some rosewood DPNs. I'd love to try any other hardwoods or casein.
The only material I'm not too keen on is plastic. I also don't like really long straights, especially metal.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I don't have a ball winder and actually kinda enjoy winding by hand. I would love to have a swift though.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Almost a year.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
I like birthdays better than holidays for the most part

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn, critters, Care Bears stuff (Grumpy and Bedtime Bear), more yarn, knitting books, other books...

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I really want some more advanced books. Especially lace or sock knitting. I'm also interested in books about writing your own patterns and stitch libraries.
I'm really intrigued by the last book on this page - Creating Original Handknitted Lace.
As far as magazines go, I only have the last two Interweave Knits and the next to the latest Vogue Knitting. I'd like to have others, especially summer editions or ones with articles on lace or socks.
I only have an IWK subscription.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Lace. Well, I've done a bit of simple lace here and there but I haven't worked with laceweight yarn or more complex patterns yet.
I'd also like to make a top. I haven't made an actual garment yet, just socks and accessories.
And maybe felting. I haven't gone anywhere near felting yet.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes!!
I wear a size 8. My foot is about 9.25" long, 8.5-8.75" around at the ball/arch, 9.5" at the ankle, 11.5" at the base of the calf. I like shorter socks. Not anklets, just not 7" long, like so many patterns suggest.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
March 6th

No comments: